New Patients


Register as a New Patient

The doctors welcome new patients who live within our practice area (see below).

Patients wishing to register with the Practice are asked to complete a GMS1 Registration Form and a health questionnaire. These can be collected from the surgery or downloaded and printed out from the links below. 

All new patients are asked to bring either their medical card, NHS number or name and address of previous doctor.

Registration takes place every day, it tends to be busier in the morning so if you can avoid this time then please do.

Do I need a proof of address to register with my GP?

Having proof  of where you live helps but, NHS guidelines make clear that it is not necessary for you to have a proof of address when registering with a GP. This also applies if you are an asylum seeker, refugee, a homeless patient or an overseas visitor, whether lawfully in the UK or not.

Do I need ID to register with my GP?

You do not have to provide ID when registering with a GP, but it is helpful to do so. Below is a list of documents that you can use as ID at a GP practice:

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Biometric residence permit
  • Travel document
  • HC2 certificate
  • ARC card
  • Utility bill

Approval will take up to 8 working days. If you are taking medication, it is essential that you see a doctor to set up your repeat medications. Newly registered patients are also able to have a health check with a health care assistant, practice nurse or GP within six months of registration if required.


Patients can also now register using this direct NHS link  

Practice Boundary

Your address is within the catchment area.
Your address is outside of the catchment area.
Address not found.


All new patients who register should also read our Contract of Care

Online Registration - New Patient Registration Form (GMS1) - FOR ADULTS


All new patients who register should also read our Contract of Care

Online Registration - New Patient Registration Form - FOR UNDER 14 YEARS OLD

Practice Area

Postcode MK16
Bolbeck Park
Downhead Park
Downs Barn
Giffard Park
Great Linford
Neath Hill
Oakridge Park
Redhouse Park
Willen Park

Temporary Patient Registrations

If you are ill while away from home or if you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one you can receive emergency treatment from the local GP practice for 14 days. After 14 days you will need to register as a temporary or permanent patient.

You can be registered as a temporary patient for up to three months. This will allow you to be on the local practice list and still remain a patient of your permanent GP. After three months you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that practice.

To register as a temporary patient simply contact the local practice you wish to use. Practices do not have to accept you as a temporary patient although they do have an obligation to offer emergency treatment. You cannot register as a temporary patient at a practice in the town or area where you are already registered.

Please note you can remain registered with your usual GP and request your usual medication; just ask your current practice for your prescription to be sent via EPS to a local pharmacy.

Non-English Speakers

These fact sheets have been written to explain the role of UK health services, the National Health Service (NHS), to newly-arrived individuals seeking asylum. They cover issues such as the role of GPs, their function as gatekeepers to the health services, how to register and how to access emergency services.

Special care has been taken to ensure that information is given in clear language, and the content and style has been tested with user groups.

Open the leaflets in one of the following languages:

england English Iran Farsi Urdu Urdu
albania Albanian Bengali Bengali india Hindi
egypt Arabic Croatian Croatian lithuania Lithuanian
bulgaria Bulgarian Punjabi Punjabi poland Polish
china Chinese (Cantonese) Somali Somali portugal Portuguese
china Chinese (Mandarin) Gujerati Gujerati spain Spanish
russia Russian Turkish Turkish French French

Disabled Patient Facilities


The Medical Centre has been specially designed to make it easier for disabled patients to visit.

There is private car parking to the rear of the Medical Centre, including spaces reserved for the disabled.

There are no steps at the entrance and automatic doors give patients easy access. A toilet on the ground floor is designed for use by the disabled.

Named GP for All Patients

The named GP requirement will be extended to all patients. By 31 March 2016 all practices had to include on their website reference to the fact that all patients (including children) have been allocated a named, accountable GP. This is a contractual requirement and builds on the 2014/15 agreement to provide a named & accountable GP for over 75s.

Practices should inform patients at the first appropriate interaction with the practice that they have the option to have a named accountable GP. It is for the practice to decide when this is appropriate and there is no requirement to write to patients to inform them.

If a patient expresses a preference as to which GP they wish to be assigned, the practice must make reasonable effort to accommodate this request. The named GP can be a partner or salaried GP.

The named accountable GP’s role will be to take responsibility for the co-ordination of all appropriate services required under the contract and ensure they are delivered to each of their patients where required (based on the clinical judgement of the named accountable GP).

For patients aged 75 and over, as required by the 2014/15 GMS contract agreement, the named accountable GP will:

  • work with relevant associated health and social care professionals to deliver a multi-disciplinary care package that meets the needs of the patient
  • ensure that these patients have access to a health check as set out in section 7.9 of the standard General Medical Services contract.


We are unable to supply letters for the following

Housing (unless MKCC specific request by letter)

School non-attendance

Blue badge (unless MKCC specific request by letter)

To schools suggesting educational or additional facilities or care.


However, we will always respond to written requests from outside official bodies such as DVLA or MKCC